Arjun Kapoor’s 'Tevar' has the potential to join the Rs. 100cr club in domestic Box Office
Arjun Kapoor has proved himself at the Box Office and his upcoming film in home production, 'Tevar' which sees him in Dabangg-ish avatar has the potential to reach Rs.100 cr at Domestic Box Office
Tevar movie poster
The saying goes that old is gold but for Bollywood old is platinum. When the 2014 box office was about to collapse the three "old" Khans came as a messiah & rescued it. Yes, the three khans gave around a whopping Rs.750cr to the industry (& PK is still going great guns). If we add on Akshay Kumar, Devgan to this list, Rs.1000cr comes from the oldies itself.
But not all is lost when it comes to the newbie like the Ranveers & Ranbirs who are getting acceptance from the audience. The gen X didn't leave the canvas blank giving us a glimpse that they are here to stay. Ranbir Kapoor is following the path of Perfectionist Khan by doing 1 film at a time thus we didn't see any of his release in 2014 (though he will be seen in 4 films in 2015 as few got delayed). Ranveer Singh with his 'Gunday' & 'Kill Dill' earned around Rs.114 Cr at the Box Office. While Varun Dhawan sailed through with hits like 'Main Tera Hero', 'Humpty Sharma ki Dulhaniya' earning roughly Rs.133cr, the other student of the year Siddharth Malhotra reached at a more comfortable position with Rs.145cr from two of his releases. With Suri's 'Ek Villain' Malhotra became a part of the Rs.100cr club. Among the newer lot the previous year surely belonged to Arjun Kapoor whose box office position remained just below the two mighty khans – Aamir & Salman. With a hattrick of hits, Kapoor earned Rs.213cr at the box office. His 2014 started with gusto in the form of 'Gunday', the Bromantic drama (with Ranveer), which got an acceptance at the Box office. Post 'Gunday' he got a boost in the form of the popcorn entertainer '2 States' which took him to the Rs.100cr club. After entertaining the audience with action & romance, he showed his versatility with a deliciously surreal small English film 'Finding Fanny'. Coupled with Deepika Padukone the film became a surprise hit earning Rs.32cr which is a good number for the genre.
Hence 2014 proved that Arjun Kapoor has a solid acceptance from all the corners. Will he be able to leverage that image & rise higher? Well, that depends on how he plays the dice from here.
2015 begins with a big release in the form of 'Tevar' & we have Arjun Kapoor in a 'Dabangg' inspired role in it to woo the audience.
So what's going in favour of Tevar?
1) Arjun Kapoor : With over 26Lakhs likes in official FB fan club & near abut 23K followers in Twitter we can safely say that the young Kapoor's charisma is working effectively.
2) Trailer: The official trailer has over 52 lakhs YouTube views with like to dislike ratio of 8:1 which is actually quite decent.3) The film is backed by Boney Kapoor & Eros. Over the last 2 decades Boney Kapoor had always given importance to promote his movies & also had given them a big release.
4) The film is a remake of Mahesh Babu starrer Telegu blockbuster 'Okkadu' .
5) Though the music doesn't have a big pull yet but the song 'Superman' is in loop in the radios. There seem to be a liking for the lyrics which goes like 'Main hoon Superman, Salman ke fan'
6) There's ever reliable Manoj Bajpayee playing the lead antagonist & he always lend unique flavour to all the characters he had played (however badly written may be).
7) Lastly, Tevar has a clean 2 weeks window to make its mark at the box office before Akshay Kumar starrer Baby arrives on 23rd Jan along with Sonam Kapoor's 'Dolly Ki Doli'. On 16th Jan Bipasa's horror film 'Alone' is getting released which almost have the same target group as Tevar but that film lacks in star power.
But, the pros of the film might turn out to go against.
1) Arjun Kapoor is playing an outright Dabangg-ish action hero for the first time. He doesn't have the image of stars like Salman, Devgan or Akshay thus it will be interesting to see how much he can pull the audience. As of today his biggest hit is a rom-com.
2) It might be a remake of a Telugu blockbuster but it seems that audience are somewhat bored with these remakes or South India-inspired films. 3) The songs aren't a rage as of now to pull the crowds to the theatre, specially the single screen.
4) The leading lady Sonakshi is getting typecast in these kind of films. He had mainly played the eye candy roles in big blockbuster films thus failing to create an individual identity unlike her contemporaries. (Her last film was not only a dud but is also the frontrunner for Golden Kela awards along with 'Humshakals').
However all assumptions, presumptions can be verified once the film gets released. From the trailers it doesn't seem to appeal the multiplex crowd but it has the potential to attract the single screen viewers in a big way..
Let's try to estimate the trade of Tevar (till Baby's release) in three scenarios:- "If feedback is Good:, "If Average" & "If Bad".
The film is releasing in approx 3500 screens (as per trade).
The following would be the day-wise estimated trend (all round-off, net figures in crores):-
So if the response is good the film has the potential to reach 100cr in its 3rd week of running thus Kapoor's 2nd entry to this club.
So it seems even in the extreme case the film will at least cross Rs.50cr net at the domestic box office thus safeguarding itself from the Flop stamp.
Now it all depends on the Tevar of 'Janata Janardan' who will decide the fate of the film.
, , ,
Arnab Tumpy Bhattacharya fits into the category wacky, passionate filmy keeda who needs his regular dose of filmy dope every weekend before khooni Monday. And if a movie catches his fancy he can watch it even upto 5-6 times in theaters. Boasting of a collection of over 5000 films (mostly DVDs) his life revolves around films. Spends his free-time in making occasional filmy cartoons, short-films & doing amateursish write-ups on films. Professionally he is a B.Tech turned MBA turned confused something. His introduction can't be completed without mentioning about his craziness for Argentine football.
View All Features by Arnab Tumpy Bhattacharya
[Note: For Any clarification on the feature, contact us via this link, or write to us: content(AT)gomolo.com]
For Any clarification on the feature, contact us via this link, or write to us: content(AT)gomolo.com